User Experience Researcher, Ad Hoc, LLC
August 2017 - Present
- Works with stakeholders, designers and developers to create and execute research plans on consumer-facing products on behalf of federal clients (Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Dept. of Veterans' Affairs).
- Manages all aspects of user experience research process for CMS healthcare reporting tool, from strategic research to inform product roadmap to usability testing.
- Creates research artifacts, including user personas, journeys, stakeholder maps and video clips. Presents artifacts and findings to stakeholders and clients.
- Works closely with designers and developers to iterate on conceptual designs and create fully fleshed our prototypes.
- Develops and manages research participants and recruitment processes.
Design Researcher and Open Data Consultant
January 2016 - August 2017
- The Engine Room
- Conducted expert interviews and investigative research as lead author for Responsible Data in Agriculture Report. This paper was cited at the U.N. General Assembly in September 2016.
- Designed a replicable design research framework for current and future deployment of mobile tools and websites for their Matchbox Project. Developed training materials and facilitated workshops introducing the team to the process of conducting design research, including interviewing and data analysis.
- Cadasta Foundation
- Managed the organization's Open Data in Land Initiative. Conducted research on the use case for open property rights data. Conducted policy analysis, 30+ expert and user interviews. Created user personas and white papers to develop the organizational position on this issue.
- Designed a risk assessment framework for the management and release of sensitive land data by drawing upon interview data, best practices as well as the context-specific risks within property rights.
- Open Knowledge Foundation
- Managed the organization's re-branding exercise. Conducted stakeholder research with organization's C-suite and external partners on OKF's branding and awareness. Developed a strategy to re-brand the organization's properties.
Senior Policy Associate, Sunlight Foundation
March 2013 - March 2016
Previous Titles: International Policy Associate, Development Associate and Development Assistant
- Advised NGOs through consultations, trainings and workshops on how to integrate user-centered design into their advocacy strategies.
- Project manager for Money, Politics and Transparency (MPT) project. Managed design and deployment process of content heavy website, while mediating between external partners and tech team.
- Designed and implemented organizational outreach strategy to international partners, including, advising NGOs on technology deployment, organizing workshops, conferences and directing advocacy campaigns.
- One member of two-person fundraising team responsible for raising revenue for organizational budget of $7.1 million in 2014.
University of Oxford, MSc., Social Science of the Internet
- Graduated: August 2017
- Relevant courses: Digital ethnography, Qualitative Data Analysis, Advanced Statistics, Research methods, Big Data Analytics
- Dissertation Advisors: Professor Gina Neff, Dr. Scott Hale
- Honors: Distinction in Statistics
University of Virginia, BA, Philosophy and Russian Language
- Graduated: May 2012
- Bachelor of Arts, Russian Language and Literature, Philosophy
- Honors: Echols Scholar Program, Dean’s List, Intermediate Honors Recipient, Graduate with Distinction
- Research and policy newsletter on technology and labor.
Reviewer, Connected Life 2017
- Conference abstract reviewer specializing in gender, sexuality and politics.
Participant observation, Interviews, Ethnography, Remote testing, Usability testing, Surveys, Statistical analysis (R).